Our family lawyers in Brisbane can help you navigate the complicated waters of international family law – whether that’s arranging child support, care arrangements for children, divorce, or other jurisdictional issues.
International family law FAQs
- Either you or your spouse is an Australian citizen (this can be by birth, descent or grant of Australian citizenship)
- Either you or your spouse currently live in Australia or have lived in Australia for the past 12 months
- You plan to live in Australia indefinitely and consider Australia to be ‘home’
- The marriage was valid in the overseas country and met all of their requirements of marriage
- The marriage would have been valid if it was carried out in Australia
A Wealth of International Family Law Experience
When your family law matter crosses international borders, things can get complicated. After all, family law is different in each country.
Over the years, we’ve developed close relationships with fellow Academy members at the International Academy of Family Lawyers, which means we work closely with family law experts in the United Kingdom, Europe, The Americas and Asia Pacific. This network ensures you will have a team of highly skilled lawyers (both in Australia and overseas) advising you every step of the way.
In addition, our Principal Damien Greer, has also participated in numerous multi-jurisdictional disputes and advised on complex financial settlements, prenuptial agreements and complicated children’s matters. Plus, Damien has also been appointed expert witness to the High Court Family Division in the United Kingdom and in the United States with respect to the application of Australian family law.
In 1996, Damien was invited to become a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL), a peer acknowledgement of his expertise in family law. Damien regularly attends IAFL conferences and has presented to the Academy on multiple occasions.
We take into account the constantly changing business and personal circumstances of our clients.